The Fisheries Local Action Group provides grant aid towards the sustainable development of fishery dependent areas. It is funded under the National Development Plan and Axis 4 of the European Fisheries Fund (EFF).
The importance of the contribution from the seafood industry to the peripheral, coastal regions that have traditionally been dependent on fishing cannot be underestimated. These areas have few alternative economic opportunities from those made possible by the seafood sector. It is in this sense that projects supported by Fisheries Local Area Development Scheme will go beyond merely tackling the short-term effects of the economic, social and environmental consequences of the depletion of fish stocks. Rather they will enable communities in fisheries areas to create new and sustainable sources of income and to improve their quality of life.
Assistance provided by the Fisheries Local Area Development Scheme will be directed at implementing projects that give effect to integrated local development strategies developed by Fisheries Local Action Groups. Specifically the scheme will:
- Maintain and support jobs;
- Add value to fisheries and aquaculture products;
- Support diversification;
- Support economic and social restructuring of areas facing difficulties as a result of changes in the fisheries sector;
- Enhance economic and social prosperity;
- Promote the quality of the coastal environment.